Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Step 1. straddle your space-heater

My room became my room today. Up till recently I hated being down there in the cold basement nook that I pay $235 + utilities a month to sleep in and store everything I own. I would sleep there, get dressed there, watch an occasional hulu episode there, come back home to sleep and start that all over again. I hated to spend any time there, I would even walk all the way up to library to do some night studying so I wouldn’t have to do it in my own room. The walls radiate the cold and are periwinkle purple from some dumb wanna-be beatnik granola chic before me. Her poems written on the back of the closet door sucked too. I decorate in a painfully required effort with relics I picked up from the mission, to give the illusion that I actually think home-décor says something about my persona. I have thumb tacked personally designed gospel pep-talks anywhere near my bed. Wither I am bringing just myself or others into bed or pulling just myself or others out of bed I’ll know that to stay humble I must keep a heart full of charity. I know where the traffic is. I have a bench press that has made itself equally useful as an upper-core tonner as a towel drying rack. My windows are frozen shut and the one wall outlet has two power grids plugged into it. So if I want to run my space heater, electric blanket, laptop, laptop connected sound system, and cell phone charger I’d have 5 more plug-ins left but only 20 seconds before I blow the fuse. I don’t have a chair for my desk which is really only like my wider but less deep trash can. Finally, cleaning up really means doing the laundry and kicking the electronic cords back under the desk.

I didn’t like this place until today when I had to study a whole bunch for a test and then write a whole bunch for a group project. I enjoyed the time spent sitting the floor against my bed with my laptop on my lap and my space heater between my legs. The one remaining 60 watt light bulb is so dim that it will not cast that annoying glare on my glossy textbook pages whilst I read. I can reach anything I need from sitting here or assuming a prone position across the floor. At least for tonight I am enjoying my den, my pad, my room. Yeah for acceptance of ones surroundings!

No comments:

Post a Comment