Monday, January 31, 2011

Bring the Rock, I'll bring my desk

Talk show Musical Guests. Letterman, Sullivan, Leno, Fallon, Ferguson, Conan and anyone else that sits behind a desk and talks to celebrities will at some point look over their desk past the pointless pretty faced actress and there, you will watch the muse. It must be the hardest thing to do for any band or artist. Everyone is there to NOT see you, it is that simple. I mean every band will play a show where they don’t fit the bill or no one got the memo that they existed. But they never did it on live national television. Another thing is that everyone is sitting down which is never cool for rock n’roll and at least thirty feet away from the front mic. The thing that would scare me the most would be the fact that the show’s host probably hates me and my noise. Like when you knew a parent of your friend didn’t want you to be over at the house for dinner. So awkward. But I what I love the most about musical guest stars is how great they are at showing the evolution of music and how it is played live. My video examples are not extremes they are both awesome songs, they are just really good examples on how things have changed. My first is a band called Grass Roots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJlY2QThjoA&feature=related ). They play an awesome folksy drama-rock song, lets live for today. The song has tons of emotion and these guys play it like they mean it, but now a days one finds the video lacking. The drummer embodies it all, I mean he was just tapping those crash cymbals like they were lil’puppy heads and it would give them brain damage. Which leads me to I think the best Musical Guest Performance ever and never to be replaced. I like watching Letterman with my dad, we both can connect to his humor and pop-culture references and laugh together. Letterman came back to his show after a short break due to heart surgery, and he invited his favorite band to play his favorite song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz_3G3sSufs ) After that song there was not a non-Foo Fighter fan in the house that night. My Dad and I were both blown away by their raw emotion. My Dad could not believe Taylor Hawkins on the drums either. The emotional levels people experience while playing music or listening to it have not changed, we have just progressed in projecting it. Long live the rawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment