Friday, February 18, 2011

How much Post-rock fits into one Friday Night?

At one point when i was a young and confused high schooler with too much emo running through my veins I tried a social experiment where i didn't call anybody Friday or Saturday night to see if anyone would call me. No one did, and it had a very downward spiral effect on my social life. No calls meant more angst, more angst meant more motivation to continue not calling, which in turn meant even less calls.
Then college in Utah back in '05 came and if i didn't have some poor girl attracted to my rebelliousness to smooze with then yet again my Fridays and Saturdays were very vacant. Somewhere in these moments i developed an intense sense of failure if i didn't have plans for the weekend nights. Like super depressed, desperate and dumb acts were contemplated and committed because of it (do not worry my wrists never took the brunt of that). I would go on solo building break-in's in industrial areas of town, just to snoop around and past a lonely night. I would listen to a lot of sad music, not so much angry tunes but sad stuff. Lots of drawn out instrumentals and Smashing Pumpkins, i hadn't found The Smiths yet but they would of been in heavy rotation no doubt.
Anyways fast forward to tonight, i am super tired from an incredibly chemically imbalanced kid at work. I have offers to do things but i find myself saying i'll nap but not falling asleep. I am listening to the long drawn post-rock tunes of Mogwai, Rachel, My Bloody Valentine, B.M. Pierce and kinda getting nostalgic about that weekend pain. Slowly and surely as i grow up i confront my adolescent short-comings and fears. I smile at how they used to really get me like nothing else could, and how my actions and thoughts in those times have played a part in making the me now. But most of all i enjoy looking back on that pain and not feeling it now. A dew from heaven for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment