Thursday, March 5, 2009

Shiny Penny songs

I could really think of a million blogs I am supposed to write due to all the kind of crazy things that have happened lately but that would be predictable, something I try to avoid like well… predictability. How do we feel about cussing in music? That’s a legitimate topic question I suppose. I am now listening to a band that is cleverly named. They are called A Wilhelm Scream. All you kids who have noticed that Lucas and Spielberg use the same sound guy who plugs the famed Wilhelm scream in each movie, must accept the bands cleverness. Hailing from Massachusetts these guys perform some pretty catchy, technical music. Why cover it up, they don’t; they are a punk band. But these guys say F*%k at least 7 times in one song let alone the whole album. Yeah that is kind of low standards as far as personal expression goes for me. But I am not put off by it even marginally. A four letter word can be a tempting brain puls………… ok simply I used to cut down forests with my jagged vocabulary. Now I am trying to find more original ways of letting anyone in voice range know how I feel at those specific moments. Back to music though. Cussing in a song is a great moral choice, not because you might offend someone but because you might make you song suck. It’s really that easy with our four letter vocabulary. No matter what kind of vocal attack our Mc’s and throats will take while testing our censors, it will shine like a penny just out of the washer. You will notice any cuss word, in any genre with any sonic offering our artists are pumping through the speakers. Those symbols (ie. %&#) might just make or break the groove you are going for. Lets face it unless you are 11 and this is the first time you listened to your older brother’s cd’s you shouldn’t think “oh he said $h*t, so cool I love limp biscuit!!!”. I mean a good ol’ bleep can give a good forte feel to a line. It can’t hurt, if it is done right. But let’s face it when you drop more F-bombs than what Dresden got in real bombs because you are a little punk band with an “attitude”, I won’t be pumping my fist. So what if you are in some fake extension of the kindergarten club you had on your Brooklyn side stoop (starts with a “G” ends in “unit”), if you are mad at someone 50 motherf%@ker will not get me on your side. So with that said, write a song that’s honest I probably won’t really care what you say because you aren’t an 80’s love Lorne god, (ie. every breath you take). If you think your shiny penny vocabulary will make me buy or download your stuff take the risk its art, but know that you are risking it with musical critics with no credentials like me. Besides I can’t sing along with only every other word.

No comments:

Post a Comment