Thursday, March 12, 2009

Opinions on the opinionated

Ok this one is just going to be an attempt to thrash out an idea that screams through my head each time I take a break at work and crack open that daily journal. Political analysts, political journalists, people that get to write on a daily or weekly basis on all things political. We’ve got our liberal lovers of the left side penning out their daily bread-winning articles. Spectrums away we see the Conservative Counts of Rightsylvania ruling their ink with an iron fist. I couldn’t even try to come up with some crazy alliterated names for all those occupy the middle ground. But I bet you all get the picture. But I bet some of you are like me in asking, “Why do we need all that?”. No way that I am alluding to an absence of need for all those boys inking out our politic’s stat line day in and day out. I am also not saying that I don’t enjoy what all those opinions do for my 10 min breaks and 30 min lunches. But what do those opinions do for me? I know I would get in a huge fight with dad if I had to listen to Rush Limbaugh with him in the car, because some old native san Francisco fart (oh yes he’s liberal) tells me all the anti-American phrases of Rushy in his weekly article. I didn’t like ol’rush and I don’t like ol’keitel either. Why because I don’t think opinions of others need to be accepted by me, they think and write like its necessary. The only people that are going to enjoy Rushy’s gum beating and Keitel’s carpal tunnel angst are people that have accepted their platforms. This just rubs against one of my most deep cut grains, what is the point of constantly talking, writing, singing, drawing, blogging, filming or any –ing about how stupid someone else is? Instead of huge first world donors saying to Africa, “look we have had our fill of giving you billions and you’re still starving, we are tired of it”, we need to pull the same stuff on those who expect us to bleat like sheep and accept their views as ours. (if you feel so inclined). Let me explain how I think political cartoonists are the truest of all political analysts of all time. Look at a cartoon next time and you will notice that more than half the time it depicts something yes but not personal agendas and opinions but a well known political situation and then lets you make up what you want from it. I might be getting hypocritical here but let me make sense of all my jabber. News should present facts and opinions aren’t evil. But I don’t want to be a opinion regurgitating, absent of all original thought, ink tainted finger tipped boy that will never have anything to say but “this person is stupid” because someone I worship wrote, sang, blogged about it unceasingly. Do I feel original because I got a beef against those who make a living off having beefs, yes I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment